SPAR Express Junction 14, Mayfield, Monasterevin, Co. Kildare, has been named as Ireland’s top convenience store by industry magazine ShelfLife at an awards ceremony in Dublin recently. SPAR Express Junction 14, Mayfield won the Supreme National Convenience Store of the Year Award 2014 and the Forecourt Retailer of the Year Award 2014.
The store, which was opened in June 2011, is owned by Kildare businessmen Donal and Liam Fitzpatrick. On a day to day basis the store is managed by Gavin Moran. Employment at the store has grown from 45 in 2011 to 145 in 2014 and has an average 5,500 transactions per day.
This is the third consecutive year a SPAR store has been named Supreme Award National Convenience Store of the Year. In total, SPAR, SPAR Express, MACE and XL retailers took home eleven awards at the National ShelfLife C-Store Awards.
The full list of Award Winners is:
• SPAR Express Junction 14, Mayfield, Monasterevin, Co Kildare won the Supreme National Convenience Store of the Year Award 2014 and the Forecourt Retailer of the Year Award 2014.
• SPAR Express Letterkenny, Co. Donegal won the Gold National Award for Stores up to 2,000 sq ft category
• SPAR Millennium Walkway, Dublin 1 won the Gold National Award for Stores 2,000 to 4,000 sq ft category
• SPAR Gourmet, Baggot Street, Dublin 2 won the Bronze National Award for Stores up to 2,000 sq ft category
• SPAR Express East Wall Road, Dublin 3 won the Best Community Initiative 2014 category
• Siobhan Allen, HR Manager in SPAR Express Merrion Gates, Dublin 4 won the Staff Development Award 2014
• Maxol MACE Sandyford, Dublin 18 won the Best Solid Fuel Retail Store Award 2014
• Maxol MACE Ballincollig, Cork won the Silver Forecourt Retailer of the Year Award 2014
• XL Eyre Square, Galway won the Best News Department 2014, for the 2nd consecutive year
• SPAR Garrycastle, Athlone won the Cuisine de France Bakery Award 2014.
Congratulating the winners of the ShelfLife C-Store Awards 2014, Willie O’Byrne, Managing Director, BWG Foods said: “We would like to extend our congratulations to the winning retailers and their teams on achieving these prestigious national titles. I would like to send a special congratulations to Donal Fitzpatrick, Liam Fitzpatrick and Gavin Moran at SPAR Express Junction 14 Mayfield on being named Supreme National Convenience Store of the Year 2014. It is their constant pursuit of perfection that sets our brands apart from their peers in a marketplace which is already internationally recognised as setting the standards in convenience and forecourt retailing. The stores and staff in all winning locations are very deserving of these industry accolades and they are great champions for the SPAR and SPAR Express brands.”